Tuesday 18 March 2014

Roy

Today we had a little bit of amazing.


I called Roy, a friend's delivery guy, to see if he could move some furniture for me. I had two cabinets to pick up at condos of people that were leaving Singapore. Roy seemed a bit confused. He wanted to know how I got his number and was a bit challenging to communicate with. Whatever. Accents on the phone are tough. The only thing that left me wondering was when I asked how much he charged and he said, "I've never done this job. You pay me what you want."


Roy showed up at the first condo all right; they called to confirm.


Roy showed up at the second condo, but my friend texted to say he seemed a bit flustered.


Roy showed up at our house.


His name is Myo Min Kyaw and he just got that phone number a few days ago. He's a foreign worker from Burma who got a random call in the middle of the day on the jobsite from a crazy expat woman calling him Roy and telling him she needed him to pick up furniture for her. He borrowed a lorry, drove all over town for probably the first time, and with a big grin delivered my items. 


The good news is that he seemed happy for the work and understanding of my embarrassment. He even took away our rusted out BBQ to sell for parts. "Roy" was honestly one of the nicest strangers I've ever met. We handed him a Coke, promised him we'd pass on his number, and shook our heads. 



1 comment:

  1. YES! That is all sorts of amazing and wonderful and miraculous. I want to meet Roy!

    ReplyDelete