Tuesday 25 January 2011

Taking back the living room

When Gus was born, I lamented (and did my best to prevent) the plastic objects that found their way into our home: Garishly colored toys that took up space and had no design sense. Why does a bouncy chair, for a baby whose eyes do not even focus, feature such horrible art? Who decided that Disney is better for babies than Picasso? I made rules: Wood only. Handmade only. Quirky only. But those rules quickly went the way of the "my baby will never use a pacifier" and "my baby won't dictate my schedule" platitudes. For the sake of sanity and Gus's entertainment, I've grown rather lax in my toy standards and now my interior decorating is pretty much a Plastic Ugly Party juxtaposed against Tibetan cabinets and Nepalese rugs. And darn it if the baby doesn't love each and every rainbow colored item.


But, there will soon be a change. Thanks to some fantabulous inspiration from Sarah Wandering, I will no longer be tormented by the colors on the foam alphabet rug (for which I do dearly thank Grandma M--it is beloved, needed, and well-used--just poorly colored) occupying one third of our living room. I've got Acrylic Primer ready to slather on that eyesore and painting schemes a-brewin'. I hope Gus likes it.


 


 



3 comments:

  1. You are hilarious! I fear my living room will one day be covered in an alphabet rug. I can't wait to see your creation! Gus will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see your take on this. Please post pics when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yah.... and then just take out a giant black and white spiral and hang it in front of him and he'll sit for hours...

    ReplyDelete