Sunday 29 January 2012

Hallelujahing and Hiding

It's all hallelujahs and hiding spinach around here. Almost 11 months ago, I found myself unable to get out of bed or pick up my baby or hold a cup of coffee. A pesky joint disease altered life for this family. Altered it a lot. It hit when I was finally gaining a little confidence after a bucketload of bewildering newness: We'd kept the baby alive for nearly a year and survived our first months on a new continent. I was back clocking happy kilometers on long runs, and our first winter in seven years--a long and gray one--was starting to lift. It was a cruel time to find myself abruptly bed-ridden, and I let that disease knock the hope right out of me.


But I've got good peeps and Grace and This Too Shall Pass. And it did. It's not the same body; there are joints that will never quit growling, but I can move. Hallelujah, I can move! Today marked a milestone of moving---18 glorious kilometers through Praha with a dear friend. It was hard, but it was beautiful, and I never ever ever thought it possible. I am one grateful girl.


Tomorrow will be Advil and ice and spinach muffins. That's right. I'll take this poor transition from what really is an awfully Big Deal to explain that I obsess over iron intake, and so we've been eating Rebar's Broccoli Soup (take the time to make a pesto to swirl in, toss in some steamed florets and you will never ever ever make any other creamed brocolli soup--or possibly any other soup at all. You'll find the bare bones of it here.), which should really be called spinach soup, and finding other creative uses for the green stuff.


P1300322
The boys have no idea there is wilted spinach in these delish carrot muffins. 


P1300323
And tomorrow's fruit smoothies.


Bad photography aside, you have no idea how happy this all makes me. 



2 comments:

  1. Hooray for feeling better! Not-so-hooray for green flecks in my teeth after my smoothie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad. And so fascinated that you can recover so well -- if I went even two weeks without my treadmill I'd be back to square one. You started with some good equipment (yes I'm referring to your bod), thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete