Thursday 2 February 2012

February Sketchers

My entry is due Monday. You can see the good works the other amazing folks are doing--here. This month I had Cindy's book, and her theme was "home." I'm not into portraits and decided not to sketch P. Though that might have been fun. Instead, I turned in this:


"I am not a good decision maker, but I can say with certainty that I married well. Whew. One of the more superficial yet delightful aspects of my marrying up is where it landed me in the summers. What a view! The Ranch is a special place for us, but I still struggled to think of an image to capture Cindy's theme of "home" because P and I have always considered our relationship place enough for us. But Gus--that complicated Gus--has given us pause. While this tiny family is where we hope our collective hearts reside, we also recognize our little dude may need (because we honestly have no idea) a stable place in which he can return should he want a familiar community and a sense of roots. It didn't take too much arm twisting to decide to make that "home" near the Green compound so that G can know the same mountains and rivers and hills and trails and orchards and sunsets that his cousins will know and that his grandparents and great grandparents and father and aunts and uncles have known their whole lucky lives."


Cashmere


Sketchbook February
It came out more cartoonish and silly than I was aiming, but maybe that's the effect of today's -17 (celcius) weather on my chilly hands. Tomorrow--and I am not kidding--the forecast says -28. Holy smokes! 


 



2 comments:

  1. It is so very happy! I want to color it in too. Some day, all these must be kept in black and white for those of us who like to color.
    I like your expression of the relationship being "place enough for us." It is where we've been too, with so much moving. But I think it would be true even if we were in one place all the time--the "us" makes the home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers especially are delightful! :)

    ReplyDelete