Wednesday 16 February 2011

Acceptance

I'm out of step. Yesterday, I ate the mango-applesauce that gave Gus hives and was cluttering up the fridge, and of course it gave me hives--right before bookclub. At bookclub everyone remembered the names of the book's characters. Imagine that. And that made me internally start listing the things I cannot recall. Perhaps the Guardian is right and this is just a post-baby issue. I sure hope so. And I can't get in the runs I want and that makes the obsessive kilometer-counter in my head start burning up and recalling the pre-baby days of training. And then I feel vain and silly and try to be grateful for the runs we squeeze in and for all the walking and for P joining me in the 100 push up challenge (even though I do really want to refer to him as my cell-mate, since I think mostly only prisoners probably do obsessive push-upping like this). 


 


But really. If that's out of step, then life is pretty darn good. There are freshly baked cookies on the counter and a baby sleeping and a neighbor called to ASK if she could take Oscar for two hours today (can you believe it?) so I could work on my Art Project, which is a dreamy art commission. There is also baked potato soup in the fridge and a clean desk-top and several unlistened-to podcasts to enjoy while Gus naps and my pencil scribbles. I have a stack of books to savor on the shelf--including ones from Neighbor B, so they have to be good. And tonight--tonight is date night. Babysitter G comes to teach the baby Spanish so that P and I can sip our pints slowly. And that P. He's been working overtime to keep this family pampered. Last night he did all sorts of dishes and baby corralling and this morning he let me sleep. While rushing to get ready for work he also toted around an energetic-early-rising-Gus. That guy. Shucks.


Let the hives spread and the memory wane. And instead of a run today, there will be a stuffed animal parade on the couch. I think my acceptance of that is a sign of some sort of growth...or some sort of deterioration. Either way, the misstepping is all right.

 



2 comments:

  1. A loving neighbor, a Spanish-teaching sitter, cookies from the oven, a stuffed-animal parade... do you know how awsome that sounds? I'd say you're pretty darn set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the New Normal! It's time for relishing all the goodness of life that comes your way -- becaues no longer can it all be perfectly controlled. But that's what makes gratitude possible -- not having all the control. What a wonderful hubby, a wonderful neighbor, a wonderful baby O!

    ReplyDelete