Thursday 12 May 2011

Alecheladas? Si!

That pretty, witty, and Northwesty Kaye Syrah. Her sweet potato alecheladas were dead on. I wasn't sure I was up for a mole sweet potato medley, but Kaye Syrah--you've done good! (of course)


P5120307


Thanks to a fab potraviny, I've always got a supply of sweet potatoes within walking distance.


P5120309


And thanks to a creative Gus, I've got at least 8 minutes to chop those potatoes as long as he has his play-dough and extra-long straw.


P5120313


The results were delish. I told a neighbor to tuck a pb & j in her purse in case my efforts were a bust, but these enchiladas are now a part of the family rotation. I worried they would be cloyingly sweet, but the black beans, beer (Staropramen Granat), and chipotle balanced the rich sweet potato with the right amount of savory. I think our chipotle peppers and chiles must be uber-hot here in Praha, as I only added about 1/4 the amount KS listed and things were quite caliente. Likewise with the chile powder.


The guest tasters all seemed happy despite the four-alarm melt-down from Gus and my brain cells functioning only on a "did you hear Maria and Arnold split?" level. Sigh. Thank you, Kaye Syrah and tolerant Guest Tasters.


(insert transition to art here)


Sneak peek at something soon to be in the mail to celebrate a so-very-exciting-and-blessed wedding from, oh, a year ago? 


Sneak Peek


 



3 comments:

  1. The best part of adding this delicious recipe to the family rotation is that something else has to go. Bye Bye, cous cous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I have the recipe? It looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked them, let's compare them this summer to the ones at Boundary Bay! Love you!

    ReplyDelete