Monday 15 August 2011

Blue skies smiling at me

I am getting over myself! As humbly happens, I recently went on a tirade about folks taking themseles too seriously. And then, heh heh heh, the same week I got all serious. Amy Carmichael wrote that we need to keep our spiritual "atmosphere" clear. If we allow even a "fugitive wisp of a cloud float across our sky"--that is, a wish for things to be different--then we create an overcast spirit.


Don't I know it.


I re-entered Praha with more than my fair shares of wishes. There were colds all around and a bee sting of gigantic (you've never seen cankles like this one) proportions. There have been cold rainy days and outings in August in-gasp-sweaters. Wily Gus has been frustrated with his boring old parents and longing along with us for his out-of-this-world grandparents in very loud and parenting-skill-testing ways. We're on doctor's visit number three. Already. This house has rattled and shook with wishes, and I've felt the result of that stinking thinking in an overcast heart.


But, no more gosh darn it! How can one hope for otherness when one has so much goodness? I take note:


1. A kinder-than-he-needs-to-be Tony M gave me a completely random and treasured gift of DELECTABLE Delirium Tremens. I can count the bottles of the golden Belgian awesomeness I've been privvy to enjoy in my life on one hand. At 8.5% that's probably enough for a lifetime. Get thee to a specialty bottle shop and buy your own pink elephant.


DeliriumTremens


2. The farmers' market is back in action. There has been blue cheese walnut sauce on fresh tagliatelle pasta and berry filled dumplings and organic carrot carrot cake and farm fresh egg and veggie quiche on our table.


3. We've brunched and happy houred and biked and brewery toured and walked and dined and breakfasted and Skyped and coffeed and teaed and desserted and jogged and baby grouped with good folks. Today's gathering honored a special guest who leaves our Old MacDonald refrains for the big kids at skola. Gus will miss his musical pal Dee-Dee.


Cake


Worried about the toothpaste decorating the cake? (famers' market carrots carrot cake!)


4. I've returned to the drawing table with commission pieces and celebration doodles.


Happy Birthday August 14 2011
 
5. There are library books newly checked-out, hand-me-down dresses acquired, new babies born, road trips planned, awfully nice neighbors relied upon (perhaps no longer with prepositions hanging out there like that), and Desigual sales attended.


Blue skies!


 


 


 



2 comments:

  1. love love LOVE the card! So happy the Green B is full of LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so late getting to my blog reading, I missed this one! I'm coming out of my own fog with you. But I'm not going to start singing loudly all the silly songs that just popped into my head.
    I used say coming back from the west that re-entry sucks. It does! But it passes, thank God. Up the hill then down again, gathering speed or at least catching our breath.

    ReplyDelete