Tuesday 30 August 2011

Ridiculously boring post on lasagna.

I am not really lasagna folk. I eat it. It's fine. Like peanut butter and jelly is fine. But, I don't often get a hankering for it (though I've made and will make again the Smitten Kitchen mushroom lasagna. Light and good.). This week, though, the local pasta dude had sheets of homemade goodness, and I had to give them a try. And I think that now I may be a convert.


Except for the olive oil, ricotta, and nuts in the pesto, every item in that lasagna was locally grown or made. All farmers' market freshness: pasta, basil, veggies, cheeses. Amazing. Even more amazing? When I totalled what I'd spent to make it (because people like we Greens like to write down everything we spend and then play with the numbers and then talk about it and then blog about it and then laugh at how much we are like our mother), I cheered. The lasagna, head to toe, was 165 koruna, or USD 9.88. (sidenote: This was worth a cheer, as in Singapore I once figured out how much my lasagna cost: USD 68.)


Prague just scored a point, and I just got my boys to eat a lot of hidden vegetables. (and accidentally deleted the photo of the finished product.)


And now I need to do something more intelligent.



2 comments:

  1. Wonderful. I also have fresh sheets of pasta and mushrooms in the refrigerator and could certainly use some back up meals in the freezer for when school gets fast and furious in the immediate future. Touch of fall in the air there? Sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drooling. And laughing for having done the SAME THING with other foods. Also having the calorie per serving count as well, based on looking up calorie data for each individual ingredient. It's horrid, how this stuff is stuck in our DNA... but also liberating, because we didn't put it there on purpose.

    ReplyDelete